Sunday, October 25, 2009

Song Analysis 2:

Hey, girl, you know you drive me crazy
one look puts the rhythm in my hand.
Still I'll never understand why you hang around
I see what's going down.

Cover up with makeup in the mirror
tell yourself, it's never gonna happen again
You cry alone and then he swears he loves you.

Do you feel like a man when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end
as your lies crumble down, a new life she has found.

A pebble in the water makes a ripple effect
every action in this world will bear a consequence
If you wade around forever, you will surely drown
I see what's going down.

I see the way you go and say you're right again,
say you're right again
Heed my lecture.

Do you feel like a man when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end
as your lies crumble down, a new life she has...

One day she will tell you that she has had enough
It's coming round again.
[x2]

Do you feel like a man when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end
as your lies crumble down, a new life she has...

Face down in the dirt, she said,
"This doesn't hurt", she said,
"I finally had enough."
[x2]

The Red Jumpsuit Aparatus was started as a local band in Middleburg, Florida in 2001. The band was started by Ronnie Winter and Duke Kitchens when they were playing Blink- 182 cover in Music Theory class. They got signed by Virgin Records in 2006 where they produced the album Dont Fake It which includes the song Face Down. The song includes many poetic devices including a narative, irony, and more.
In the song, Face Down, The narriative is the singer is talking to a girl about her boy friend abusing her and why she's still with him. He's also trying to figure out why the boyfriend is doing it to her and not stopping. She keeps telling him its the last time it will happens, but its not. The irony is in the lines "Do you feel like a man when you push her around? Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?" because it is ironic that pushing a girl around would make the person feel better to hurt someone else that they supposedly are supposed to care about. As well as irony and narriative, the song also includes local color, imagery, a hyperbole, personification, and an allegory. The entire song includes local color because the song is about domestic violence between couples which is very common. The imagery is in the lines, "Face down in the dirt, she said, 'this doesn't hurt'" because it makes you picture a girl in the dirt. The hyperbole is in the lines "Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end as your lies crumble down" because its saying that the world is going to end because of his lies which is an exageration. Also in that line is personification because lies can't crumble. The song includes an allegory because it shows the deep fiht to let go of the person who is hurting you the most, but the person simply can't for many reasons.
The song Face Down is an important song to The Red Jumpsuit Aparatus because it was one of the reasons they got popular. It also is relatable to many people who may be in the same situation.


3 comments:

  1. Good job on song analysis 2. I like how you found a narrative to analyze and you explained it well. And btw, I <3 Pete the Penguin lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool playlists, great pictures, well-designed blog. Virtual pets = better than real pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Analysis; my brother listens to this song all of the time!

    ReplyDelete